Then, it was Hannah's turn, what a great day of training we had together. Hannah's Week 6, Day 4 Saturday training day with Roxanne
And Kim texted me and joined me at IFA for some great 'on-the-spot' training time. Hannah was wiped out after nearly 3 hours with me, so I kenneled her in my warm truck, and she simply curled up and went to sleep pronto.
Kim and Kara had QUITE the training session at IFA. Not sure who was more fried, Kim or Kara?
| So how did Quiet Time go with Kara, Kim? |
So Kim watched all the videos and had some excellent questions and observation.
ReplyDeleteShe commented, "I'm watching your videos from Saturday, and I watch the videos and the TC. I'm a little confused. The dogs away from you and not paying attention, you say, "Fido come and throw the TC to come if they're trying to come. Not sure if I am getting this right?" "It seemed that in IFA you called her she was turning to come and you still through the TC. What am I not getting?"
Great observation and questions Kim.
I replied, "When I start TC, I look for that one nano second they are not paying attention, call and throw. Done once or twice, after that, the dog believes me. It's a timing thing. By the time the end of this week is done, with TC work done well, layers into the dog's mind that immediate obedience is what will prevent a 'bug bite'. And the reason I do is to rapidly is that belief in a dog's mind will save a dog's life. So, I am faster at TC work, with any dog, than the dog's handler will be. I want an immediate Recall, not a ho-hum Recall so I am FAST. Much fster than you or any other new handler. Does that make sense?"
"No new handler, just learning TC, does this FAST. I sure didn't when I started with Sugar so long ago."
"And no one is ever perfect in their execution of TC work, myself included."
These are great questions and observations Kim. I was so bad at TC, when I started with Sugar, I had to go practice with small cardboard boxes. And still, to this day, the smaller the dog, the harder it is to be exactly precise.
Roxanne