A place to learn a new language, the Koehler Method of Dog Training, which is an entire language of communication between owner(s)/handlers and their dogs. Let the journey begin....
This recommendation comes from Andy Doyke, another KMODT in SLC where off leash dogs are also an issue there too. He says this is a gel which is better than spray which can create blowback spray on you and your dog. That would be ghastly.
I have never used it or any spray, instead I pay really careful attention to where I work dogs, always have a safety 'exit stage left' plan, and when I see a loose dog, if I can I leave immediately. I have had to confront loose dogs, been stalked by a loose dog (in MD) , and a few times, picked up rocks to use at approaching dogs. Even in MD with rigid leash laws, heavily inforces, things happened. So, long ago I learned to scout an area before I worked a dog to make sure it is safe. You must be smart and pay attention to everything, especially the training environment, when working a dog in a public area.
This recommendation comes from Andy Doyke, another KMODT in SLC where off leash dogs are also an issue there too. He says this is a gel which is better than spray which can create blowback spray on you and your dog. That would be ghastly.
ReplyDeleteI have never used it or any spray, instead I pay really careful attention to where I work dogs, always have a safety 'exit stage left' plan, and when I see a loose dog, if I can I leave immediately. I have had to confront loose dogs, been stalked by a loose dog (in MD) , and a few times, picked up rocks to use at approaching dogs. Even in MD with rigid leash laws, heavily inforces, things happened. So, long ago I learned to scout an area before I worked a dog to make sure it is safe. You must be smart and pay attention to everything, especially the training environment, when working a dog in a public area.
Roxanne
Food for thought.